Ruth Chris Steakhouse in Orlando hosted a 5 Course Port Wine Dinner featuring Taylor Fladgate and Fonseca Porto wines. It was a fun night full of tasty eats and fooducation. Missy the Brand Ambassador and Chad Ruth’s Chris Beverage Manager were excellent hosts. The dinner highlighted the origins of Port Wine and the age differences between various vintages.
Here are some fun facts on Ports…
- Port was born in the Upper Douro Valley in the oldest wine region in Europe.
- A reserve port is a choice, non-vintage red (Ruby) Port that is more rich in flavor than others of its kind.
- Vintage Aged Tawnies are individual wines in differing vintages aged in oak casks for either 10, 20, 30 & 40 years. They will begin to lose their purple-black color and take on it’s tawny hue. As tawnies mature they become more nutty in flavor and develop more depth.
- A Quinta is a vineyard or farm and produces the best quintas during the harvest years.
- Chocolate & Wine are an excellent combination. Natural tannins in cocoa ready the palate for the tannins in the wine. This makes the other flavors in the wine come forward.
Caramelized Onion & Goat Cheese Crostini
Port Steeped Figs, Kalamata Olives,
“Port of Manhattan” BIN27 Cocktail
Tawny Poached Pear & Arugula Salad
Minted Vinaigrette, Candied Walnuts, Feta Cheese
Fonseca Siroco White Port
Butternut Squash Bisque
Maple Nutmeg Crème, Fresh Chives
Fonseca BIN27 Reserve Ruby Port
Filet Mignon & Sizzling Shellfish Trio
Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Sequoia Grove Cabernet, Napa Valley
Artisanal Cheeses, Fresh Berries & Nuts
Jacques Torres BIN27 Infused Chocolate
Taylor Fladgate 20 Year Old Tawny
Taylor Fladgate Vargellas Vintage 2004
We enjoyed learning all about Port Wine and it’s food pairings and look forward to attending more culinary events hosted by Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse. Thanks to Crave Local for the invite!